Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Puppy Proofing! Exhausting!

Tatsuya came home on very short notice. Last Monday, I got the message that there was a puppy for me after all, and on Wednesday, I was on the road to New Jersey to pick him up at Phaedra Borzoi (thank you Carol & Kevin!)

In between, I raced around puppy proofing our home. Here's a list of some of the toxic/dangerous things around a typical home that are dangerous for dogs. Household management for such items is an immediate must! Dog training as a supplement to teach puppy to keep out of places such items might be found is an additional long-term goal.

Here's a list of some of the most important items on the puppy proofing hit-list:
  • chocolate
  • grapes/raisins
  • macadamia nuts
  • nicotine
  • xylitol (artificial sweetener, found in many sugar-free gums)
  • medications, including pain relievers for humans such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen
  • caffeine
  • electrical cords
  • household cleaners
  • insecticides/pest control products
  • any small or sharp objects puppy might swallow
  • certain plants including my favorite lilies and daffodils, although inside my home, there are no plants--pets fare much better in my care! (see a list of plants that are dangerous to dogs at: http://www.purina.com/dogs/Safety/PoisonousPlants.aspx )