Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Why practice every day?

Today I was so happy to see that yesterday's training with Tatsuya on loose leash walking and heel really stuck today (granted, he still gets distracted easily--but he is puppy AND borzoi, so he's doing very well overall with his dog training, considering!)

However, the "Down" I had been so proud of just a couple of days ago was a bit of a lackluster performance in our dog training class tonight. "Why," I wondered. Is it that a puppy brain can only handle so much new information at once? Then I thought back to the previous day's practice. We focused so much on dog training for "Let's Go," "Heel" and "sit at a distance" that we neglected any practice with our down cue--and tonight, it really showed!

Tomorrow's goal: to spend a little time on integrating practice with all known dog training cues into our daily routine, and to work hard at our attention cue which we have shamefully not practiced at all! That is the first cue I teach my dog training students, and I still haven't done sufficient work with Tatsuya after having him home for over a week! Tomorrow, we'll catch up.